Saddleback Farm Shop: Daytime Head Chef
- Location: Saddleback Farm Shop, California Farm, RG20 7HR. (Plus cover at other locations as required)
- Reports to: The Executive Chef
- Salary: £27,000 per annum
- Hours: Contracted hours 45 over 5 days (out of 7).
Usual hours: 7am – 4pm and the occasional evening for an event as required.
We are looking for a creative Daytime Head Chef to take the lead in our Farm Shop Kitchen. With a team of 2 chefs, Saddleback Farm Shop specialises in delicious cooked breakfasts, healthy lunches and deli offerings served to our customers between 9am – 3pm. This is the ideal position for a CDP looking to step up into a Leadership role.
As well as the standard, monthly-changing menus, additional events and special menus for mothers day, Easter, Valentines day etc, mean no two days are the same.
Situated on the outskirts of Brightwalton village near Wantage, Saddleback Farm Shop has beautiful views over the adjacent farmland. The shop is stocked with lots of great produce. The butchery sells locally reared, grass fed beef and locally reared, rare breed lamb and pork. There is also a deli, stocked with items made by hand by Honesty chefs and bakers. There is also an extensive choice of cheese and freshly baked bread is delivered daily. The tea room serves through the day with everything made by the in-store chefs. There is a large outside seating area with a play area for children. Since opening in 2012 Saddleback Farm Shop has worked its way into the heart of the local community and has since continued to provide our customers with locally sourced produce and goods.
Why work with us, not them?
Our strong community-led values, and people-first approach separate us from our competitors. We are committed to holding ourselves to the highest standards with regards to the environment and sustainability, with all our food made by hand by our incredible team of chefs and bakers utilising fresh, seasonal, local ingredients (where possible) and served to our customers by dedicated, healthy and happy staff. We are Real Living Wage employers.
- Regular hours during the day (very few evening shifts)
- No more than 45 hours per week (usually closer to 38 with no reduction in salary)
To produce and cook the food for sale in the farm shop café and to produce food items for retail sale in the farm shop when appropriate. To develop creative, seasonal, fresh menus. To take responsibility for the implementation of the company’s HACCP policy and food hygiene and safety procedures.
MAIN AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Produce the food to order for the farm shop café
- Produce retail items for sale in the shop when necessary and to avoid waste
- Manage the specials board so that it is varied and lessens the likelihood of waste
- Organise the kitchen and its resources
- Ensure the kitchen is clean and well organised so that the café can obtain a 5 star food hygiene rating
- Communicate with the finance team to ensure proper financial management
- Ensure targets, when set are met
- Engage with the marketing team to promote the café and its food
- Make the most of seasonal and local produce whenever possible
- Maintain and build relationships with key suppliers
- Manage stock control and stock rotation (FIFO),
- Manage purchases and food deliveries (from suppliers) including cost control
- Quality control of products leaving the kitchen
- Meet regularly with the Executive Chef to report progress and issues
- Communicate with farm shop management and administration regarding the smooth operation of the café, educating as to new dishes and items for the specials board
- Embrace the H&S regulations and the requisite procedures involving Food Safety
- Adhere to Honesty values and ethos
- Develop new products and recipes and to communicate this development to other staff (outside of production) via the internal communications system Fourth or SLACK
- Work with the coffee shop to ensure great customer satisfaction
- Cost all recipes introduced to the range so they are ready for production
- Ensure that the kitchen is reaching its maximum productivity potential
- An understanding of the importance of quality control
- An understanding of teamwork
- Computer literacy
- A love of fresh food
To join our team you will need to:
- work with initiative as part of a team
- have a calm, cheerful and helpful disposition
- work within our Honesty Shop standards, respecting food safety and health and safety requirements
In return for your hard work we offer:
- Secure employment contracts
- Annual wage increases keeping up with the Real Living Wage
- Full training and opportunity to develop within the business
- Free meal on duty
- 20% off all products outside of work
- 10% off entry to Beale Park
- Discounted Cookery School Courses
There are many opportunities within Honesty Group, and we want to help you reach your dream role. Once you’re working for us, we will work with you to progress your career in hospitality in whichever way you want to. We are very proud that all of our current supervisors and managers once started with us as Coffee Shop Assistants.
- Sous Chef
- Head Chef
- And many more!